The
East Mojave Desert
A Brief Summary of the History of Mining
1863-1947
Larry
M. Vredenburgh
1995
The 1860s
By late 1859 the Mojave
Road was established as a viable wagon road between Los Angeles and the
Colorado River. As early as 1861 miners working El Dorado Canyon, on
the Colorado River, used the
route to a point about six miles east of Rock Spring where the trail to
El Dorado Canyon took off. Early in
1863 copper ore was discovered, probably by soldiers from Fort Mojave,
in the Dead Mountains 25 miles
southwest of Fort Mojave. And the Irataba Mining District was
established - named after the Mohave
Chief.
In light of the presence
of prospectors passing through the east Mojave, the discovery of silver
ten miles
west of Rock Spring, nearly astride the Mojave Road in 1863 is not
surprising. With the March 12
discovery by Charles Hamilton and Francis Austin, the Rock Spring
Mining District was established the
following month. The district embraced Macedonia Mountain. The townsite
of Providence was laid out,
and consisted of a string of stone cabins and tents. By March 1864 five
mining companies with interest in
the district were listed in the San Francisco business directory, but
little true work was conducted.
Indians killed a
prospector, Moses Little, June 12, 1866 creating another kind of rush
of prospectors - out.
Camp Rock Spring was established December 30, 1866 by the U.S. Army to
protect mail carriers on the
Government Road, and slowly prospectors returned.
The 1870s
Just to the north in the
New York Mountains, the New York Mining District was organized April,
1870. In June 1872 Matt Palen erected a smelter and in August 1873 the
Elgin Mining Company of Elgin, Illinois
hauled a mill to the New York Mine. By December the mill was running
but was shut by May 1874.
The remainder of the
1870s were quiet in the East Mojave Desert, that is until the discovery
of silver at
the Bonanza King Mine set off a flood of prospectors who in turn made
new discoveries.
The 1880s
George Goreman and Pat
Dwyer, prospectors from Ivanpah in the Clark Mountains, discovered rock
that
assayed phenomenal silver values in the spring of 1880. By spring 1881
J. D. Boyer and H. L. Drew,
San Bernardino Business men acquired the mine, and by December J. B.
Osborne and N. Hasson had
joined them. However, the investment needed to turn the ore deposit
into a mine was still a daunting
obstacle.
According to one
account, Thomas Ewing mining scout for George Hearst asked if it was
for sale, and at
what price. "There are four of us," was the reply, "and we want $50,000
each." "It's a sale," said Ewing,
as quick as a flash and securing a piece of rough wrapping paper, he
immediately drew a draft for the
amount. It read: "George Hearst, San Francisco; pay to bearer
$200,000." Within forty-eight hours the
draft was paid through Wells Fargo.
A 10-stamp mill was
hauled from Mojave costing in all over $50,000 in July 1882, and a
hoist was
shipped via Colton. Up to 150 were men employed sinking the shaft and
preparing for mill. The mill
commenced operations January 1883. At the mill a town named Crow Town
grew up at what is the site of
Domingo spring. But there also was Providence near the mine, whose
structures were constructed of
quarried volcanic tuff. On March 11, 1885 the mine and mill were closed
down by the owners. When
they reopened a week later the labor force was paid $3 a day, fifty
cents less. The mill burned July 21
1885. The mine had produced $1.8 million in silver.
At the nearby Kerr Mine,
experience mining man Godfrey Bahten constructed a five stamp mill
which
started in January 1887.
A short distance south
of Providence at Hidden Hill, gold was discovered as early as 1882, the
Arrow
Mining district established, and ore milled in an arrastra.
The 1890s
The early 1890s saw
substantial mining activity in the East Mojave desert.
In the early 1890s Isaac
Blake purchased the New York Mine, constructed the Needles Reduction
Works
and by 1893 had 80 men developing the mine. But, the panic of 1893
silenced this silver mine. However the one remnant of Blake's empire
was the Nevada Southern Railway. By August 1893 the
Railroad reached Manvel. Manvel (later renamed Barnwell) served as the
distributing point for a vast
area.
At the same time that
all of Blakes's energy was being poured into the East Mojave, the
ephemeral but
thriving town of Vanderbilt literally sprang up overnight. Gold was
discovered by Paiute Indian Bob
Black in January 1891. In 1892 M.M. Beatty a relative of Black staked
the first claims. Beatty and Allen
Green Campbell began developing the Boomerang Mine. Simultaneously, two
miners from Providence,
Richard C. Hall and Samuel King filed claims which became the Gold
Bronze mine. Two other
Providence miners Joseph P. Taggart and James H. Patton joined them in
June 1892. By the time of a
significant strike by Taggart that fall, the camp consisted of perhaps
300 men and a camp consisting of a
store, boarding house and several saloons. In March 1893 Campbell's
mill started, and the Gold Bronze
mill by May 1894.
In April 1894 water was
struck in the Gold Bronze shaft, in June the Boomerang mine hit water.
Upon
hitting the water, the character of the ore changed and the mills were
unable to recover the gold. The
mines and town began their decline and by 1897 were essentially
finished.
At Hidden Hill in the
south portion of the Providence Mountains, some rich highgrade gold was
discovered February 1894, and a 2-stamp mill was erected 1895 by
Monaghan and Murphy, two Needles
merchants.
The 1900s
The Nevada silver
discovery at Tonopah in 1900, and the gold discoveries at Goldfield
(1903) and
Rhyolite (1904) stimulated renewed prospecting throughout Nevada and
Eastern California. Within the
east Mojave numerous older mines were reactivated in the wake of these
discoveries, and some new
discoveries were made.
Gold discovered in the
western Castle Mountains on December 19, 1907, transformed the area
into the
thriving town of Hart. In January there was a stampede to Hart with
people leaving Needles and
Searchlight "in automobiles, buggies, wagons and on bicycles and
burro." Many came from Goldfield. By
thee end of the month there was telephone, and an estimated population
of 200. In May 1908 a small
mill capable of processing 8 tons (a day?) was installed by the Big
Chief mine. The Oro Belle Mine with a
main shaft eventually 860 feet deep, produced very little gold, and
never constructed a mill. Much of the
town of Hart burned December 1910.
In late summer 1908,
high grade gold was found 28 miles southwest of the new boom town of
Hart. This
discovery, the Lost Burro, was made by D. G. Warfield and Mark
Neumayer. The townsite of Gold Valley
was laid out. At the mine a 100 foot deep shaft was sunk, ore was
worked in an arrastra. By 1910 a small
stamp mill was operational.
On the north end of Gold
Valley the mine camp of Out West drew some attention. In 1909 the camp
consisted of a stone house and 3 frame-tent houses.
The New York Mine was
revitalized in 1907 as the Sagamore Mine by N. P. Sloan. A mill with
the
capacity of 50 tons per day was erected in 1908 - but shut down after 6
weeks.
In 1906 there was a
serious, yet failed attempt to reactivate the Bonanza King Mine. A ten
stamp mill
was erected. The mine operated one year. There were additional attempts
in the late 1910s and in 1924.
The California Gold and
Copper Company led by the able hand of Albert Cram, of Riverside
appears to
have been little more than a stock scam. Cram filed the first mining
claims southeast of Vontrigger
Spring in 1902 at the height of a copper rush that lasted until 1907. A
huge mill was constructed as was
a company town with homes for the miners. Investors continued to be
milked until 1915 when operations
were suspended.
In the old Rock Spring
District, the Macedonia Mine (one of the original locations) was
renamed the
Columbia. In December 1910 a 5-stamp mill was installed.
In 1913 there was yet
another attempt to reactivate the gold mines at Hidden Hill. A
substantial camp
was erected and some beautiful pockets of free gold were found. All
told up to 1920 perhaps $100,000
had been recovered from the mines here.
In 1925 a camp named
Vontrigger sprang up at the Getchell mine, owned by J. L. Workman and
Senator
Getchell of Nevada. This camp located in the Hackberry Mountains
consisted of 30 tents. The mines
were worked intermittently in the 1930s and early 1940s.
The biggest thing to
happen in the east Mojave was the Vulcan iron mine in Foshay Pass. The
claims
here were patented as early as 1902 with only minor development. There
was a small camp here in the
1920s. However between December 1942 and July 1947 over 2.6 million
tons of iron ore was mined and
shipped to the Fontana steel mills. A camp was constructed to house 65
men near the mine and another
35 men lived with their families in trailers at Kelso.
This Paper
was published as:
Vredenburgh, Larry M.,
1995, A brief summary of the history of mining in the East Mojave
Desert, 1863-1947, in Robert E. Reynolds and Jennifer
Reynolds eds. San Bernardino County Museum Association
Quarterly Vol. 42 no. 3, p. 83-84
HOME